Sunday 28 November 2010

Late arrival

Trevor late for breakfast.

Its been a cold day. Everything is frozen, the water pipes to the stables, the house, the fish are all solid. Plans to put a 150 gallon tank in the workshop have been moved up the jobs list and when it thaws enough to allow water flow an emergency supply will be kept out of the reach of Jack Frost. Meantime water saving measures are in place.

The Technohermit is feeling the cold, I managed to get Hazel the not quite 4x4 to him twice today. First was at lunchtime to drop off coal and gas and given he had a fire in his lair and it was the warmest part of the day, ferns of frost were still over his belongings inside. Hazel took me back with a monster portion of roast pork and a hot pudding this evening. The door to his lair was wide open despite being minus 7 already (parts of the county were minus 18 last night!) He asked me in and pointed to the remains of a chainsaw he had been fixing. By candlelight I inspected the chain as requested, could I sharpen it? As the metal was cold enough to stick to my hands I was loath to try, the thought of the hermit in possession of a sharp chainsaw was a scary one. He turned on a torch that was hardly brighter than the candle and pressed a file into my hand. Just have a look he pleaded, show me and I can do it. I gave in and inspected the chain, there was something different about it, it was unlike other chainsaw chains I had encountered, it was devoid of teeth for a start. There were occasional irregularities but other than that it was smooth. I prodded it with the file. You need a new chain Keith. He accepted my advice, it was, after all he said , very old, for it came from a very old bike.

It must be cold, this is supposed to be on the www.talesfromtherock.com page!

No comments:

Post a Comment