Monday 12 August 2013

Spotty's tale

 Ok so its my turn to tell you how I kept these two numpties in order on the Welsh 3 Pedals to Peak challenge dreamt up by my owner dressed in black as a way of raising money for Hounds for Heroes. I thought I was going somewhere nice for dinner, instead we were on a road trip. The journey there was cramped and boring, it was dark, I had to share the boot space with half a bike, the spare wheel from the Land Rover and so I got my own back by dribbling in his lap. Once we got to the right place (they tried to start in the wrong place!) we set off at 1am.
 We legged it up the Llanberris path (read railway line) in double quick time and made Snowdon summit by 2.30 am. After they ate flapjack ( wheres mine!) we headed back to the car where I got to stretch out and snooze while he rode his bike for 50 miles. I also ate half of his ham and tomato sandwiches as a reminder that I should have had dinner before we set out.
 By 8am we were heading up our second mountain, they had energy drinks but I had to make do with what I could find.
 This was not easy, the second mountain, Cader Idris is in the far distance on the right and was a bit sore on the pads as its all rock.
 But we made the top and celebrated by eating more flapjack. I think I got my bit by default as he couldn't bite it. It was chewy but I managed it.
 Insult! Back at base camp I was not allowed in the cafe! Me a heroic charity fundraiser! But I did get the best part of a bacon buttie, made a change from Wagg, which he forgot to pack I might add!
Time passes, I had a nice rest while he rode his bike again for 100 miles and I did my best to cheer him up by coating everything with dog hair. I think his M and M's tasted better being furry. 
The final mountain Pen-y-Fan was horrible, dark, wet, cold, windy, so I did what a Berner does best and found somewhere to kip by the path, he wasn't happy with this and made me finish the walk back to the car. He was very happy when he got back and shared his fish and chips, even the crunchy bits! I was glad to be home and made sure I got the best blanket to sleep on. I slept for two days but it was worth it. Thanks to everyone who sponsored me and if you havent and still want to go to www.justgiving.com/downhill-all-the-way1 thanks!
Lots of happy memories from this, this was my favourite bit as we got into the car park at Cader Idris, I look happy as I have just had a sandwich and been told I was a good dog by people who gave us money. Bless em!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations brother. You did so well & raised lots of money. Glad you got to have a bacon sandwich but I bet it wasn't as good as the sausages we had at the Treasure Hunt. Mum forgot to see if there was any left for her to buy & bring home for us.
    Remind us next year please.

    ReplyDelete